I love using green onions in recipes but also as garnishes. The problem is I never seem to finish all that I have purchased before they wilt or go slimy.
Did you know green onions can be frozen?
- Green onions
- Jelly roll baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Freezer safe container
How to freeze green onions:
- Slice the onions any way you choose.
- Lay them out flat on a jelly roll baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about an hour or until they are frozen.
- Place the individually frozen green onions in a freezer safe container.
- Keep in the freezer for a couple months.
Just a few tips:
Using the parchment paper makes getting the green onions off the baking sheet much easier. Clean up is a breeze.
Use a bigger freezer safe container then needed. This will ensure you are not packing the onions in tight. You want them to easily come out.
The onions will be a little less pungent so add a few more to your recipe.
Onions will thaw quickly when they hit a hot pan or resting on the counter.